LBS Number: 432208
Date Listed: 17/05/1994
Local Authority: Ealing
Ealing Common, Uxbridge Road, London Borough of Ealing.
1931 by Charles Holden, supervised on site by Stanley Heaps. Portland stone ticket hall with flat roof on concrete bridge, concrete stairs and cantilevered platforms with brick infil. Single-storey entrance facade with central opening under projecting canopy. Behind it rises the heptagonal drum of the ticket hall, incorporating three kiosks in side walls.
At rear, stairs under stepped enclosures lead to platforms, at their feet semi-enclosed shelters with original fixed seating. Canopies higher at rear of platform, incorporating metal clerestory glazing. Original roundel signs on flank walls fully lined out in black. All windows are metal glazed, some with casement openings.
Ticket hall features floor tiling with heptagonal star mirroring structure, original bronze shop fronts to kiosks with over them a band of decorative tiling in three shades of grey and white. Above them metal windows with vertical glazing bars and narrow margins top and bottom; all save that to street with Underground roundel outlined by glazing bars, plain glass. Coffered ceiling. The entrance canopy also has a coffered soffit, with over it a projecting solid roundel, its pole restored since 1987.
Included as one of only two examples of the Underground style of architecture in transition between the classical style of 1920s stations and the Scandinavian or Dutch inspired models that followed later.
Lawrence Menear (1985) London's Underground Stations
» Back to Ealing
» Back to District
» Back to Piccadilly
» Back to Underground Heritage