LBS Number: 437587
Date Listed: 17/05/1994
Local Authority: Harrow
Includes generating station
Sudbury Hill Station, Greenford Road, London Borough of Harrow
London Underground Station with flanking kiosks and rear generating station, 1931 by Charles Holden, supervised on site by Stanley Heaps. Red brick and reinforced concrete. Flat concrete roof slabs. Curved forecourt wall with open impaled roundel leads to symmetrical single-storey entrance flanked by kiosks, behind which rises square double-height ticket hall at side of tracks.
Archive Photo, 1958
Adjoining concrete bridge leads to stairs, under stepped enclosures, which descend to covered shelters on either side set back from platform and incorporating fixed seating behind glazed screens.
Archive Photo, 1958
All windows metal casements, with horizontal glazing bars except for those to shop fronts, which are however also original. Sign, 'Sudbury Hill Station' in separate Johnston Sans letters. Ticket hall has full height glazed 3-bay panel as centrepiece of each facade, that to road withb coloured logo and legend 'UndergrounD'.
Ticket hall retains fixed bench and telephone area under original sign. Exposed concrete lintels in ceiling. Original tiling to floor. On integral platform walls the roundels are outlined in black, with two extra roundels in stepped concrete slabs incorporating poster boards.
Ticket Hall, Archive Photo, 1934
The 'up' platform incorporates a generating station, rectangular and unfenestrated, a fine example of Holden's use of unadorned brickwork topped with a concrete slab - and important in juxtaposition with the glazed box of the station.
Included as the second station to be completed on the Sudbury Town model; a refinement of the prototype in a remarkably good state of preservation.
Lawrence Menear, London's Underground Stations, 1985
The Thirties Society, End of the Line, 1987
» Back to Harrow
» Back to Piccadilly
» Back to Underground Heritage